The CityRails Transit Photo Archive
Previous Photo Photo of Court Street Station. Next Photo
Court Street Station.

Another shot at long abandoned Court Street Station , the temporary station installed prior to the official opening of the East Boston Tunnel in 1904. The station was the downtown terminus for trolleys to Maverick Square, East Boston. Separated by only a wall from Scollay Square Station in the Tremont Street Subway, the line was originally planned to connect with the Tremont Street Subway, with East Boston trolley's running directly through Park Street Station. However, inevitable disputes arose between the Boston Elevated Railway and the Boston Transit Commission, and the connection was never made. Twelve years later, in 1916, Court Street Station was closed. In 1924, the East Boston Line was converted to heavy rail subway cars built by Pullman.

Photographed by Paul Joyce, 1988.
Added to the photo archive by Paul Joyce, July 14, 2006.
Railroad: MBTA.

Paul Joyce's awards:

» Contact the person who posted this photograph.

Sharing this photo?

Use this "permalink" to avoid broken links:
Submit to Stumble Submit to Digg Submit to Google Bookmark Submit to Reddit Twit This

[Turn Ads Off]

Visitor Comments about this Photo:

No comments have been left yet.

You must be logged on to post comments.

Follow us on Facebook
News | About NERAIL | About Jeff | Contact Jeff | F.A.Q.'s | Privacy Policy | Other Great Sites
This site, excluding photographs, copyright © 2016 Jeff S. Morris. Photographs copyright © individual photographers, except as noted.