FCD Mack Railbus
Mack Company of Allentown, Pennsylvania built a number of "railbus" vehicles for branch line service. The New Haven ordered nine modified railbuses for delivery in 1954. All 10 (including the prototype) were dubbed FCDs in honor of Frederick C. Dumaine, Sr., who had conceived the project. They were 170-horsepower diesel-electrics with a traction motor on each of their four axles. With a coupler at one end, two FCDs could be M.U.'d nose to nose to carry up to 98 passengers. Later sold to the Remington Arms Company, one survives at the Danbury, CT Railway Museum.
Photographed by Bill Hakkarinen, November 13, 2011.
Added to the photo archive by Bill Hakkarinen, November 27, 2011.
Railroad: Danbury Railway Museum.
|Bill Hakkarinen's awards:|
» Contact the person who posted this photograph.