Stony Brook Electric Railway
This is part of the Stony Brook Electric Railway that ran through Westford, MA between 1901 and the early 1920's. The Track went from North Chelmsford, down what is now route 40, then branched off at Forest Road. It then ran through the sand pit (now the Lakeside Estates housing development). After the pit, it crossed Depot Street, then Dunstable Road, then it went over a bridge on Nutting Road and continued through the woods and sand pits into Graniteville. It then exited the woods at what is now Beacon Street, where it followed North Main Street to the B&M station in Graniteville. Then it followed alongside the Stony Brook Branch into Groton. Most of the ROW that runs through the woods is still intact. This section is between Nutting Road and Beacon Street. The ROW is owned by MassElectric, which owns the power lines you see, these poles have nothing to do with the original catenary, because it had smaller metal poles.
Photographed by Rob Butler, 2002.
Added to the photo archive by Rob Butler, December 30, 2002.
Railroad: Stony Brook Electric Railway.
|Rob Butler's awards:|